Ex moving in with girlfriend

My ex is moving in with his girlfriend. Can I ask for more child support since he will have her income to help out with his living expenses? Is there anything I can do about limiting visitation since the children don’t like being around her?

You cannot ask for increased child support because the father is living with his girlfriend. In calculating child support, only the incomes of the two parents can be considered.

You may not be able to limit visitation with the father, but you can require that the visitations be without the girlfriend present. Depending on the circumstances, this can be a reasonable request.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.