Ex won't sign over house

I was awarded the house in court with a judge’s order. But he won’t sign a quitclaim deed. Can I take him to court to make him sign that form to get the house out of his name.

Yes, since you have a court order you can file a contempt motion (motion for order to appear and show cause) against him to have him held in contempt for willful failure to follow the court order (assuming the court order specifically states that he is to sign a quitclaim deed).

The judge has the ability to put him in jail until he decides to follow the court order and sign the deed.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Thank you!
The order says that he will cooperate in a sell, refi or something else we mutually decide upon.

Jennifer Vawter