Friend in need

If she has no access to cash can she put the fees on a credit card until she is able to get money from their marital estate?

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I have a friend who’s husband has been abusing her (mainly emotionally )but also phsyically for almost 10 years. Through spitting in her face, other physical actions, severe name calling, completely controls the finances to the point where she has no idea whether or not they have savings, investments,etc.

He “issues” her just enough money each month to pay bills and feed the three kids while he keeps the well over 10K per month of imcome somewhere else.

I am concerned that the abuse is escalating lately.
She needs help and a lawyer but has no money what so ever in order to hire one. The husband clearly has the funds to pay for the legal fees but she has spoke to a couple of lawyers who say withouy the upfront money, she can forget it.

I have just been blown away at the difficulty she has had in finding legal help with her situation.

Any ideas on who can help? Thank you in advance.

  • Concerned in NC