Housewife, 2 children, and custudy of stepchild

Dear Jodie P. Griffin:

It sounds like you may be a dependent spouse and entitled to alimony. My suggestion is that you retain an attorney now and let them negotiate with your husband, or your husband’s attorney, for your alimony, child custody, support, property distribution, and your husband leaving. If you do this before you leave or he leaves, you will have the peace of mind not worrying what will happen tomorrow. Best of luck with the job search.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

What is a mother to do who has been out of the workforce for four years and wants out of her marriage? I am trying desperately to get a good job to support my children, but when you been out of work for so long, it’s hard? Is there any other option other than getting my financial status good before I can leave?