What to do when a husband leaves

Dear singlemom:

Greetings. First, I recommend that you hire a private investigator to determine why your spouse has left you. I think you will find the answer shortly after hiring the PI. We have a recommendation at the following link for great PIs in our area:


Now, if he has left you and you are dependent, you are entitled to alimony. You will need to retain an attorney as soon as possible to help you negotiate for alimony and child support sufficient to meet your needs until the children go to school. No, child support is sent to you and you direct what it is used for. My advice is to get an attorney, get armed with information, start negotiating with your needs and your children’s needs in mind.

I am not ruling out reconciliation for you and your spouse by telling you to protect your interests. I am ruling out you having to plead with your spouse for funds and act out of desperation in the future if you retain an attorney and start to negotiate now. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

about a month ago my husband told me he was going to move out, we have three children. i really don’t know why he moved out but he says he’s not coming back home. i’ve done everything i could do to try to get him to come back home and work this out but he want. not even for the kids which are very young, too young to know whats going on. they do know daddy’s not home. over the past couple weeks i’ve not spoke to him to much and he’s only seen the kids two times since he’s been gone. he told me when he left that he would call everyday to check on them but it’s almost been a week since he has called. and if i try to call him his phone is cut off. the first weekend he was gone he took off and went on a little trip (or so he says) and he told me he had found a friend (which of course is a girl.) i still don’t know what made him leave all i know is i want him home where he belongs but things aren’t working out that way. i’m a stay home mom and i was just trying to find out what i should do? if he doesn’t come back how will i afford to take care of the house and the kids to? can he get out of paying alimony to me? and if i do get child support for the kids is that money suppose to cover all the household expense or does it go directly to the kids and he helps pay for the household expenses? i’m really confussed over the whole thing and don’t know what to do or where to turn. anyone with any advice please let me know.