Husband Having an Affair, Wants out- What do I do?

I am sorry you are going through this. Cut all ties with this man. Take care of yourself and your child and unborn baby. Get well then make him pay child support till those kids are 18. Good luck to you.

If your interest is in reconciliation you may want to check out our website,

I wish you the best of luck.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I strongly believe you are right to think he’s bipolar. I could have written your post myself! Good luck to you and know that it doesn’t get any easier even with the diagnosis.

My husband and I have been married for nearly two years. He’s 19, I’m 21. He abandoned his home, wife, and children all of a sudden for a 16 year old he met one day before he left. This 16 year old girl has sent me various dirty messages over the internet and pictures of she and my husband in embraces and various “questionable” poses. We have a seven month old daughter and a son on the way. We have accounts in both names- a checking account that he has withdrawn by $180, and a $7,000 furniture bill that is $200 a month. He lost his job a week after he moved out (he’s been gone for six weeks) leaving myself and my children with no other option but to move back in with his parents. (I have been diagnosed with eclampsia and put on strict bedrest). He has done this before- just sort of “thrown in the towel” and went and lived with another woman for about three months or so, then decides he wants to reconcile. I would be willing to talk about reconciliation (no, I’m not crazy) through counseling and therapy to work out some of these issues. The thing is, he refuses to talk to me. Three weeks ago, he decided that he would pull a cute stunt and actually came into the home, took physical custody of our daughter from my arms, and walked out of the door. He also threatened me at this time. I immediately filed a Domestic Violence Order for Protection (DVOP) and an Ex Parte order to get my daughter back. (The police finally tracked him three counties over). I’m pretty sick of this- all of it. I considered an Alienation of Affection and Criminal Conversation case against the 16 year old and her parents for allowing them to fornicate in their house and actually telling him it was okay to do so, but these people are pretty trashy and I seriously doubt they have any assets. I need to know how to go about filing for separation. I want to request full custody of my children with supervised visitation in the home only. (He does not know how to take care of a child on his own, and I have several witnesses to times when he actually allowed her to sit in her own fecal matter when she was spending time with him to the point where it gave her a severe diaper rash.) I would also like to request post-seperation support, but since he lost his job, would I be able to get anything? Third, I am working with Child Support Enforcement, but it takes a month and a half to get an appointment. I would also like the furniture returned to me, or him pay me half of it’s value, as it was purchased during the marriage and is in both of our names. He took it when he left, and has failed to make payments on it. This will ruin my credit if he continues to do so as well as his. I would also like to be reimbursed for the money I had to pay the bank for him overdrawing the bank account. Is all of this something that I could put in separation papers? How do I go about filing them on my own? Also, is there any way to ask for mediation or marriage counseling in the interest of reconciling the marriage in a motion for separation? (I know that’s a long shot… my reasoning is this- I am a fourth year nursing student with a minor in psychology. Because of his extreme behavior and severe mood swings, I solomnly believe that my husband suffers from bipolar disorder, and that he is currently going through a manic phase. I believe that counseling would aid in diagnosing this disorder and possibly getting the man some help.) Any suggestions?