Impersonating your spouse


Dear Bystander:

Greetings. First, you should hire an attorney in your county of normal residence (most attorneys, such as us, can be hired while you are overseas) and have them send her a letter. They may want to file an equitable distribution claim for you with a motion for temporary restraining order.

You should also contact the district attorney and law enforcement in the county where she is doing this. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


You gave your wife a Power of Attorney that was only valid when you were out of the country. You decided that you wanted a divorce and had it revoked, she gave you back every copy that she said that she had.
Now, you are overseas again and she is impersonating you to financial institutions, from e-mail accounts that there is no way you have access to, trying to get information and trying to mess with pay and such to get money taken away. What recourse do you have and if it is all stuff from after the separation, does she have the legal right to have it, even though finances are split at the time of separation?
What can be done to stop this woman and how is this going to effect divorce and such?