Infidelity / divorce

My husband lives in NC, I live in Alabama. I was wondering could I sue his mistress for alienation of affection? If so would I go through a divorce lawyer or a civil lawyer for that matter? My husband also opened his own insurance company, due to us being married and NC being a equitable distribution state, does that mean I get a share of the company ?

Yes, you could sue the paramour in NC since your husband lives in NC and assuming the acts causing the alienation of affection occurred in NC. A divorce attorney/family law lawyer will the type of attorney to help you with this.

If your husband opened the insurance company during the marriage (between the date of marriage and date of separation), then it would be marital property subject to being divided. You wouldn’t necessarily get an ownership share in the company but you could get compensated for one-half of the marital value, depending on the distribution of all the other marital assets and debts.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.