Judge Cases

I have a custody case coming up. I was wondering if the judge will let me make a final statement or ask me if there is anything I want the court to know before the judge makes the decision? I have a attorney but I would like to address the false information in the court order given by the defendant’s lawyer at the time of the last hearing. I did not have a attorney at the time but I would like to address the inaccurate information in the last court order. All the false statements in the order that was drafted by the opposing lawyer was not even mentioned in court but the judge signed it anyway. I didn’t have a chance to view the order until the judge signed it. My current lawyer told me some times judges have so many papers to sign that they don’t recall the specific details of every case. I felt that I was treated unfair and now that I have a attorney I would like to make a statement to the judge about our last court date.

You are always free as a party in a case to ask the judge if you may address the court to tell him/her whatever it is you want them to know. My advice to you though would be to listen to your attorney. If you’ve explained to him what you want to say to the judge, and he doesn’t think it’s a good idea and discourages you from doing so, I would defer to him. However, it is within your rights to ask for permission to address the court.

Judges hold a great deal of power in their position, and if you’re going before one it often helps to know how they run their court and how they have decided similar cases in the past. If you examine a judge’s case history, you can get a good feel for the judge as an individual and how he fulfills his duties.

My case for custody has been on going for more than a year. So we have had 3 different judges. My attorney is Moore County attorney but is very good.

Does a deployment schedule matter when asking to move out of state? My ex has been gone every year for 3-8 months and travels in between. I would like to move back to my hoem state for family support.

Yes, a judge can certainly consider that. All factors that play into what is in the best interest of the child can be considered by a judge.