Jurisdiction issues

Can a spouse legally serve divorce papers to another spouse in this circumstance:

  1. Both parties are in the military.
  2. Both parties legally reside in NC.
  3. One party is a non-resident of PA and the other party is a non-resident of NY due to military status.

The circumstance being that the one party has filed the divorce papers in PA to serve the other party in NC? Can that legally happen?

Thank you.

If PA does not have personal jurisdiction over the spouse in NC the divorce cannot proceed.