Mediation Tomorrow

Since child support is based on the number of overnights, salary, insurance premiums, and few other numbers, what the custody is now compared to what it is changed to is what will make a difference. If your ex currently has every other weekend and overnights during each week then it’s likely that 50/50 custody would only be for equal time. In essence, approx. 6 more days a month than he currently has overnight.
Look over your current arrangement and see what is likely to change as far as overnights.
The only way that he would not pay child support is if you both made the same amount of money and had the children an equal amount of time. Given the difference in salary you posted, it’s unlikely that he would not have to pay at all, but it’s possible that the amount could decrease due to the difference in number of overnights.

I suggest running the calculator on the home site with equal time and see what the amount could possibly be. Not to sound too harsh, but child support is to support the child, not the parent. The courts do not care how many “toys” or assets the parents have or if the parents have to work 3 jobs to make ends meet, as long as the child/children are taken care of finacially by both parents.

It doesn’t sound harsh at all. Every cent that goes into my bank account goes into my son’s well-being, food, shelter, clothing and the other STUFF it takes to raise a kid. I ran the numbers on the calculator and not much would change. In fact I’ve never pursued an increase in 4 years and I’m actually entitled to $200 more per month.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by stepmother[/i] [br]Since child support is based on the number of overnights, salary, insurance premiums, and few other numbers, what the custody is now compared to what it is changed to is what will make a difference. If your ex currently has every other weekend and overnights during each week then it's likely that 50/50 custody would only be for equal time. In essence, approx. 6 more days a month than he currently has overnight. Look over your current arrangement and see what is likely to change as far as overnights. The only way that he would not pay child support is if you both made the same amount of money and had the children an equal amount of time. Given the difference in salary you posted, it's unlikely that he would not have to pay at all, but it's possible that the amount could decrease due to the difference in number of overnights.

I suggest running the calculator on the home site with equal time and see what the amount could possibly be. Not to sound too harsh, but child support is to support the child, not the parent. The courts do not care how many “toys” or assets the parents have or if the parents have to work 3 jobs to make ends meet, as long as the child/children are taken care of finacially by both parents.

Then it sounds like you will be alright since you’ve already agreed to more time anyway. You likely can work out an arrangement in mediation so that you have equal time with the child without going to court. If the ex then chooses to pursue modifying child support, it should modify according to the numbers that you put in to your benefit. It looks like the ex would have to have primary custody or a drastic decrease in income to have his child support lowered…

Child support is indeed affected by the custodial time each parent has. When there is a shared custody arrangement (your ex has more than 123 overnights per calendar year) you move from a child support worksheet

I’m very nervous about Mediation tomorrow. My ex is asking for 50/50. WE have an exisiting agreement in place where I am the primary and he has liberal yadda yadda yadda. Anway I’ve agreed to more time without going 50/50.

All emotion aside:

If ex is awarded 50/50 how does this affect child support?
He works full time makes more than 100K per year. I work part time and make 25K per year. I’m completely scared to death I won’t be able to survive.

He Just had a shot gun wedding to make his self look better. Just bought a 2008 Jeep Cherokee and a brand new Spyder motorcylce. I think he has overextended himself financially and is desparate to cut ‘us’ off one way or the other even at the expense of the best interest of the child. We have had the current agreement and it has worked very well for four years, now all of sudden he wants 50/50…

I do not see how this would be in the best interest of the child for these reasons:

He travels out of the country for work frequently.
During many visits he comes late or picks up early because of work.
He had made a promise to me that he will do anything in his power to destroy me.