Military seperation and divorce

The best thing for you to do is to take the documents to an attorney to review them. It sounds like you need to file an answer alleging a different date of separation. If you have any property or support issues you will need to deal with those issues before the divorce is final or you lose the right to address these issues with the court.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I am extremely confused. I was served with papers from my husband (servicemember). The papers state that we have been living apart since 2001 volunterely. During this time he was overseas and that he was on a hardship tour and spent 2 tours in Iraq and one in Bosnia…It was only 8 months since we have actually been living apart for the reason of seperation. He is using this because he owes 3 months of support and is trying to push a divorce through. I do not know what to do? Or how am I supposed to respond?[?]