Need time to think


Dear sotired:

Greetings. It sounds like the world is resting on your shoulders. First, yes, I would advise you to have a separation agreement negotiated with your spouse before you leave. If you negotiate that agreement through the collaborative process with an attorney that is properly trained, then you have a higher chance of reconciling.

Next, remember that if he will not seek therapy, that you cannot be his therapy. Loving someone does not mean that you must constantly sacrafice yourself for them, especially when they will not take small steps to get well. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I have been married for 4 years. My husband has many anxiety issues and severe depression. I have been loving and supportive and have tried to get him to seek professional help. He has not done so and I feel like I am at the end of my rope. I am tired of feeling like the only one who cares about him and about our marriage. I want time away from him to think about our marriage and to decide what I want to do. Should I get a separation agreement before I leave? I am not sure what to do, because I don’t know that I want this to be a permanent situation.