Order not to come on premises

You obviously KNEW he doesn’t want you coming near him. Yet you marched right into his workplace anyway instead of mailing the check? My ex was also a histrionic drama queen and I to had to get a restraining order against her to stop her from staging her own little Jerry Springer shows in the parking lot of my workplace.

Just mail the damn things and leave the guy alone.

I almost did a “No Contact Order” on my husband’s ex because she threatened me with physical harm…more than once…and every chance she got would scream and curse at me, trying to get me to fight. I am not a violent person and do not like chaos in my life. I was literally afraid for my life at certain points during their separation and divorce. The only reason I didn’t was because of their children.
A “No Contact Order” is basically exactly that. The defendant is court ordered not to visit, assalt, molest harass, stalk, abuse or injure, communicate by phone, mail or electronic means and can not enter or remain in the plaintiff’s place of employment, residence or any other place listed on the form with the plaintiff present. No contact of any kind.
On the copy I have of the “No Contact Order” there is a place that the case can be dismissed, but I believe you would have to go to court to show that it is not necessary to have this in place. I do not know that you have to be there because there is also a place for the deputy to sign that the copy has been served. But to me that would mean that you didn’t go to court to defend against the charges written. (In my mind, that would mean there was no defense)
In my opinion, if your ex would prefer that you mail him a check, money order or certified funds rather than go to his place of business and risk a confrontation, then you should send the money through the mail, certified and forget it. At this point, why do you still want to have contact with your ex anyway?
If this were me in this scenario, I would absolutely not want this occuring at my work place. If there’s going to be a scene, do it in my driveway where I can call the police, not at my work where I could lose my job or others could get involved. Contact me and meet me at a public place to exchange money. Don’t go to my work, in front of my boss and my co-workers. That’s just me though…

quote:
[i]Originally posted by bohica[/i] [br]The Court ordered me to pay my ex a sum of money or be held in contempt of court. I paid the money-----at his place of business--ordered to pay him "directly" in change. Now my ex wants the court to issue a restraining order against me

You paid him in change?? What’d you do, lug a 100 pound bag of pennies to his office and dump it in the foyer? No wonder he wants a restraining order! :smiley:]

Bohica,
To cover your own buns, why WOULDN’T you want to pay him with a personal or cashier’s check??? If you pay him in cash, there is absolutely no record of receipt. If you write a receipt for cash, he can always say you forged it. If you pay him by check, then both of your banks have a record of the funds transfer and receipt, along with his signature on the back of the deposited check showing that it was him who received and cashed the check.
His request of a check is actually almost like he’s doing a favor to you.

And we’re all grown-ups here, and pretty candid… I think it’s safe to say that you knew that walking into his office would open up a huge can of worms. Again, to cover your own buns, you really ought to be doing everything by certified mail, anyway. That way he can’t dispute what you do or don’t say or how you do or don’t act during your communication. You’ll have it right there in black and white on paper that you are cordial and professional in your communications. Walking into his office is walking yourself into an environment of people biased against you - fair or not, that’s just life - and leaving them to make their own opinions about how you conducted yourself. Don’t open yourself up to that.
Document, document, document. That’s the bottom line in ALL of our various court issues. Whoever has the most solid paper trail, wins.
Certified mail and certified checks are as good as it gets in the court system.

Dear bohica:

Greetings. First - come on now - you did not have to go to his place of employment. That was just a dig by you. No, unless you keep doing stuff like this the court must have grounds to order a domestic violence restraining order. Good luck - and let it go. Get done with the situation and never look back.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

ROSEN.COM

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Wanna really tick em off?! Go the your bank and request the $$ amount required in loose change. Get your reciept from the bank for it copy it (be sure to black out your account number). Send in payment in CHANGE- I mean loose quarters dimes and nickles and pennies. Unroll them and put it in a large plastic bag and fed ex it to them- hehehehehehe. Be sure to put a copy of the receipt in the box to prove you paid it. Just a wild thought I came up with - if ya gotta pay em- make em work for it let em count it!!

quote:
[i]Originally posted by green27614[/i] [br]Wanna really tick em off?! Go the your bank and request the $$ amount required in loose change. Get your reciept from the bank for it copy it (be sure to black out your account number). Send in payment in CHANGE- I mean loose quarters dimes and nickles and pennies. Unroll them and put it in a large plastic bag and fed ex it to them- hehehehehehe. Be sure to put a copy of the receipt in the box to prove you paid it. Just a wild thought I came up with - if ya gotta pay em- make em work for it let em count it!!
Uh-huh, and pay hundreds of dollars of shipping charges to do so.

Yeah, that will really help your case the next time you have to go to court and the judge is told what a asshole you’re being.

Moron.

High five, beachlover. In fact, double-high five with a hug and a handshake. That was perfect.

If you’re court ordered to pay someone, then just pay it. Why be dramatic and unreasonable. Just pay it, and move on. Geez…

The Court ordered me to pay my ex a sum of money or be held in contempt of court. I paid the money-----at his place of business–ordered to pay him “directly” in change. Now my ex wants the court to issue a restraining order against me to prevent me from going to his place of business. I did not cause a disturbance, but was merely doing what I was required to do by the Court. Does the Court have to have a reason for a restraining order—such as harassment, violence, etc. or can the Court issue a restraining order for paying a debt? Oh, well. Whatever my ex wants, he gets. I have no rights whatsoever in this case. The judge gives him what he wants. Also, do I even have to go to Court for this kind of foolishness? He also wants the Court to order that I have to “pay” him by check, money order, or certified funds. He’ll get this garbage. In my book, money is money, but this Court will order me to do whatever my ex desires. Has anyone else ever heard of anything this ridiculous?