Over 18 crowd

do you know for certain that that child’s father doesn’t contribute to his/her support?

actually no, I do not know for certain that that child’s father doesn’t contribute to her support.

I think that would be a slap in the face to our college child and reason for our child to feel bitter towards their father if he supported financially that student and not them.

The bottom line is that it really isn’t any of your concern how your ex spends his money any longer, and the same is true for him. I have been reading your posts for sometime now and know that you have been hurt badly by your ex’s betrayal. I also saw the posts about your concern that he will be able to reduce child support and the lawyer’s response. You will have to cross that bridge when and if you come to it in court.
If you do not have an agreement that your ex has to support or contribute to the children once they get into college then there is not much you can do about it. In public universities financial aid is based on the parent who claims the child on their taxes so it might actually work to your benefit and entitle him/her to more financial aid. Talk to financial aid office at the school.
I would encourage you to let your 19 year old , now considered an adult,to try and work this out with the father.
As far as the minor children…have them apply for scholarships and financial aid as they apply for colleges.

Each party is free to put their actual expenses on the affidavit and the court will determine what expenses they believe are reasonable. It is unlikely that the court will consider expenses for an adult step child that he has chosen to support. Likewise, the court probably will not consider your expenses for your adult child. If you believe an expense on his affidavit includes an expense for his adult step child you can request discovery related to that expense and make sure it is related to his specific living expenses.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My ex husband does not support our child who is 19 and in college and I know he legally does not have to. He remarried and his new wife’s child who is 19 lives with them and goes to a local college.

We are going to court as he wishes to reduce child support payments for his 4 children who are minors and living at home with me. He reports a decrease in income and inability to pay the amount he was court ordered to pay for them.

My question is this - on his financial affadavit where he lists expenses how does he justify paying for the care of that adult who is a college student.