Past adultry

You can bring up the issue of infidelity when the issue of alimony is addressed. The court may find that you condoned the relationship because you reconciled with him after you were aware of it. If you make less money than him, and you cannot meet your expenses on your own income, you would most likely be entitled to alimony anyway.

All of the conduct that occurred during the marriage will be considered by the court. But the conduct that has occurred most recently, will be given the most attention.

NC is a no fault divorce state, that means in order to get a divorce you must be separated for one year and one day. Adultery will affect support, but it will not affect the absolute divorce.

Even if he shows no income on his taxes, the court will look beyond the taxes and try to figure out what he is actually earning.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.