Proving he is a bigamist or not

Marriage records are usually housed in the office of Vital Statistics in each county. I would check there for any records of a marriage in any county where you believe he may have been married. If you have the funds you can also try to hire a private investigator to research this issue for you.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Voice: 704.307.4600
Main Fax: 704.943.0044

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Have a thought. my husband LIED on the marriage application for our
marriage license about his prior marriage to a woman in 1996 in NC which I found in NHC courthouse records recently and of course therefor did not tell of when and where a divorce occured (which again no record of divorce showed up in the state of NC).

I read that such is PERJURY.How could I personally bring him to court for this?If he could be charged with perjury …the burden of proof would be in his court…and if he could not prove divorce…its a FELONY and would make my marriage to him voidable/anulment.

This is a VERY critical point. I fear you will say that only a magistrate or is it a DA can press charges? AND may not do so…but certainly if it is perjury…it thereby SHOULD be enforced

Jessica Almond

If he was married to another woman and was not divorced when he married you, the marriage is void. You would not need to prove that he lied to you about it, simply that he was married before and was not divorced.

I’m not sure you would gain anything by bringing criminal charges against him. What are you hoping will happen if you do this?

Helena M. Nevicosi

919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262

Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I do not have money for a PI to try to find out if my husband divorced wife #2 that I didnt know existed til checking NC marriage records…which do not show a divorce in state of NC.
Since he lied/perjured himself on marriage application not naming wife #2 & date of divorce from that marriage, I was hoping if I could get a perjury case against him and thence my question HOW best to do so…it would bring the burden of proof upon HIM to provide proof re: that marriage/divorce.If not he’s charged with felony and I’m then out of a nightmare divorce. Not a vengeful witch.
This career criminal on PROBATION/sweetheart swindler.Once $300K IRA,a paid for home,clear of any debt,at age 60 with only a few thous left,home tax iened&mortgaged/staggering debts well over $4K in bills per mo.w/but $800 gross income,path of destruction at my home site including his burglary few days after his release from jail,new biz being driven into the ground by his past&current sabotage which was my only hope for income to survive along with $15K invested to be LOST. While in jail arrested on domestic violence,he hired the top gun attny (who never loses a case)of this county court system known for its bad reputation, served w/civil suit of bogus FAULT divorce which asked for all his legal fees to be paid by me who has to discharge my worthless attny for lack of having a dime and go pro-se. But no matter for from a rushed court hearing for interim relief/property division it is ABSOLUTELY clear that the judge is in the pocket of the opposition’s attny-this case has been already decided.My neck is in the noose and I have NO means to fight back.Might as well then give up on life. This is NO exaggeration.Grasping for ANY life-saver I HOPE somehow someway I can press legitimate perjury charges. So I ask, is there a way I can do so? and change the fate in store for me that’s knocking on my door. Perjury conviction alone would put him back behind bars revoking his probation.

Jessica Almond

I do not have money for a PI to try to find out if my husband divorced wife #2 that I didnt know existed til checking NC marriage records…which do not show a divorce in state of NC.
Since he lied/perjured himself on marriage application not naming wife #2 & date of divorce from that marriage, I was hoping if I could get a perjury case against him and thence my question HOW best to do so…it would bring the burden of proof upon HIM to provide proof re: that marriage/divorce.If not he’s charged with felony and I’m then out of a nightmare divorce. Not a vengeful witch.
This career criminal on PROBATION/sweetheart swindler.Once $300K IRA,a paid for home,clear of any debt,at age 60 with only a few thous left,home tax iened&mortgaged/staggering debts well over $4K in bills per mo.w/but $800 gross income,path of destruction at my home site including his burglary few days after his release from jail,new biz being driven into the ground by his past&current sabotage which was my only hope for income to survive along with $15K invested to be LOST. While in jail arrested on domestic violence,he hired the top gun attny (who never loses a case)of this county court system known for its bad reputation, served w/civil suit of bogus FAULT divorce which asked for all his legal fees to be paid by me who has to discharge my worthless attny for lack of having a dime and go pro-se. But no matter for from a rushed court hearing for interim relief/property division it is ABSOLUTELY clear that the judge is in the pocket of the opposition’s attny-this case has been already decided.My neck is in the noose and I have NO means to fight back.Might as well then give up on life. This is NO exaggeration.Grasping for ANY life-saver I HOPE somehow someway I can press legitimate perjury charges. So I ask, is there a way I can do so? and change the fate in store for me that’s knocking on my door. Perjury conviction alone would put him back behind bars revoking his probation.

Jessica Almond

I do not practice in the criminal law area, unfortunately that means I cannot answer this question for you. You may be able to get some answers if you contact the District Attorney in your area and see if they are willing to prosecute him for this. Given the nature of the offense I am not sure this is something they would be willing to prosecute. This may not be a violation of his probation if the offense occurred before he was placed on probation. I wish you the best of luck.

Helena M. Nevicosi

919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262

Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

As mentioned perhaps, I am under siege/in midst of nightmare with also a nasty divorce from a one year marriage to a sweetheart swindler/career criminal who has ruined me/near penniless.
ALL the cards are stacked against me with the court system in this county etc.
HOWEVER I do remember that when we applied for marriage licenses…my husband named a former marriage and divorce from ONE women in the 80s. I have found ANOTHER marriage which was in 1996…and in the whole state of NC there is no record of divorce. I am going nuts trying to find the woman he married AND/or divorce records or no. and heard there was suppose to be a third marriage before me.
PLEASE advise how I can find info. Most online sites are known to give little info for the money for people searches…and I dont know how to go about this…which is EXTREMELY important for if this man is still married to another…I can at least not have to deal with the top notch attny he hired on promises that legal fees will come out of ME…while I have to DROP my attorney - one reason I AM BROKE.

Thanks for listening

Jessica Almond