Dear factseekr:

Greetings. If you can both agree that the children will follow your career and location, then that clause in your agreement can “dictate” that the children come too. Otherwise, no, you cannot dictate where your spouse lives and force her to move because you do, despite the fact that you provide the support and benefits. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


Working on papers now. Soon to be X-wife has mentioned never wanting to move. I will be providing child support and benefits to 2 children. I would like to relocate to larger area within NC. If I am providing $$$ and benefits can I dictate where I will be living and be sure my kids have to come too?