Requesting documentation for child support enforcement

When the plaintiff is seeking child support with the help of county child support enforcement after trying unsuccessfully on her own and unsuccessfully with a private attorney, should the defendants attorney request documents directly from the plaintiff or through the child support enforcement case worker?

If the plaintiff has exhausted all funds trying to get child support and is still unsuccessful, what should she do?

If child support enforcement (CSE) has intervened in the family court child support action, then child support will be established assuming the plaintiff is entitled to child support. Otherwise, the only other options to establish child support is through family court or to agree on an amount out of court.

With CSE involved, the defendant should request the plaintiff’s financial documents from the CSE case worker and attorney.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

This is not what happened and when I called cse and let them know (I spoke to my case managers supervisor), she said I should just answer the questions.