Show Cause


Dear almostdone:

Greetings. Yes, there is something called Laches in North Carolina which is an affirmative defense which may bar your recovery if you don’t seek to obtain what is rightfully yours in due time.

My suggestion is that you send him a letter. Why do you want to date someone that is not paying you what he even owes you?

The answer is - it depends on what your separation agreement says. Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I have a court order (stating my ex owes me >$25,000) since 12/05, our divorce was finalized in 01/06. We have been dating, so I dont want to file a motion to show cause, because I dont want to have any animosity btween us. Is there a certain time frame, where I can no longer file a motion to show causee? Say we break up in 3 months…can I then? what about 3 years?

If he files taxes and claims both of my children (one is his), and myself, as married filing jointly; am I entitled to any of this money? Am I entitled to more than 50% since Otherwise I would be claiming both the children? THANKS!!!