Sole Custody

I would suggest get in contact with the child support office in your area and for custody get in touch with the county court house and let them know what has happened as well, they might be able to contact her. Godd luck!!![8D]

Dear pgato64,

The first step you should take is to do your best to find out where she is, once you find her you can serve her with a complaint for custody. In the meantime, while your daughter is in your care and your ex cannot be found, you can make all of the decisions for your daughter.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I’m a divorced male in NC and my ex wife and I have had a verbal agreement on the custody of our 13 yr old daughter. She has spent equal time with both of us but nothing in writing. On December 30, 2006 my ex informed me she was moving the next day to California and eventually back to her home country (Guatemala). She left our daughter with me. I want to file for sole custody and child support now but I have no way to contact her or know where she is. How do I go about doing it?