Sole legal custody


Sole legal custody is very uncommon and is usually only granted when the communication between the parents is so bad, that the children are being harmed by it. If you do not have a parent coordinator, you may want to look into getting one.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.


What goes into asking for sole legal custody? It is granted that much by a judge? My husband and I do not communicate except briefly to set times up for the kids to visit. The kids drive themselves to his house so I do not see him. He has been nothing but rude and disrespectful on the telephone and closed his email account so I could not contact him via that route. In the last month alone he has told lies and came to the house under false pretenses and left taking large household items (We have not been through ED yet)

Point is - I feel I can not communicate with him. I am a medical professional so I can make sound judgements about the children’s health. I do not plan to move or change their education in any way, etc. I just can’t see discussing things with him. I just do not trust him. I will have sole physical custody, and he visitation.