SOS...NO HOT WATER in a house with COVID

I live in my husband’s house for 2 yrs. He pays the utilities. Married for 10 yrs+. Do not live under the same roof. He has been playing cruel trips with electric and water heater…just to be cruel. Had water heater on COLD for 1 week, One day of HOT. Then now ONLY COLD
I am in a house with COVID. Grand daughter has COVID. I am 75 yrs old.
Husband is worth over a million$$. I don’t even have a savings account. In bad financial state, even more by his doings.
I CANT WASH MY HANDS in HOT WATER. or the dishes…or towels. Or take a bath, wash my hair. SCARED to get COVID. recently had a cold for 25 days. COVID might kill me. HE REFUSES TO FIX WATER HEATER
IS THERE ANY IMMEDIATE RECOURSE I can take…right now!!
I have NO money to buy and innstall a new water heater…or pay a plumber’s fees to look

Your options to force him to deal with the issue and provide you with support is to (1) move out, or (2) notify him of your intent to remain permanently separate and apart and file a lawsuit against him for postseparation support, alimony, and equitable distribution.

Once you file a claim for postseparation support, you can likely have a court date within 6-10 weeks depending on your county and your county’s local rules regarding calendaring of court hearings.

You can use our Sample Court Complaint as a guide to draft your own.

You may also want to check with your county’s Department of Social Services to see if there are any programs or assistance you may qualify for.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Thanks for reply. Did you say move out OR?? because I have no place to live. My own home worth nothing in very bad disrepair really needs to be demolished.
My estranged husband tricked me, Said he would put my name on his house that he said he bought for ME and my fam to live in. Hahaha then after moved in, he said he never said so, This is his pattern of cruelly back stabbing, trickery and more…
BOTTOM LINE: he’s made sure in 11 yrs that everything of his…is HIS separate property. Right after marriage doing what he could to break me down.
HOW CAN I ESTIMATE how much SUPPORT I might get. And would court give me more money in award for true mental cruelty, marital misconduct such as his early one betrayal of vows, having me go without hot water, breaking into my bedroom,etc etc etc??? there’s a ton of trickery causing damage. I have NEVER milked this greedy selfish man, asked for a dime, but I cant fathom there is NO justice for me to survive after 11 yrs of agony

btw: there is a back covered porch to this house I live in which is his house, as mentioned, he lived in his mama’s house.Two days ago, he brought his girlfriend over here and were on the back porch. I have NO jealousy at all…He has at his mother’s house a porch, yard, acreage…and all. I feel he is going to bring her over soon MORE by indications, Soon he will feel they can come in, and cook, and sit around…for SPITE. To torment. I NEVER go over to where he lives two doors down. Is there any perimeters/boundaries to this???

Check out our Alimony Calculator which can give you an idea of what alimony might look like in your situation. However, note that this is to be used as a guide only as NC does not have an alimony worksheet or standardized formula when determining alimony.

Alimony is based on 16 Factors. If you can prove marital misconduct, you might be entitled to additional or longer duration alimony if the court determines he has the ability to pay.

For more detailed information on alimony, including an explanation of the marital misconduct grounds, check out our article Will You Owe Your Spouse Alimony After a Divorce?. The information contained in this article is equally applicable to you as the spouse requesting alimony.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.