State Jurisdiction Question

My separation agreement was initiated in NC, and my divorce was issued in NC. Both parties (me and my ex) now live in Pennsylvania. I believe that the time will soon come when I can prove that my ex is cohabiting, thus ending my obligation for alimony. I assume that this effort will follow the laws and conventions in PA rather than NC…but just wanted to be sure. As this will be a contractual matter (which was specifically detailed in the Separation Agreement) will I just have to initiate some legal action to show that the situation has changed?

If your ex-spouse has violated the separation agreement, then you would file a breach of contract action against your ex-spouse in PA, and PA would enforce it.

Most likely your separation agreement is written so that you can stop alimony payments on your own when your spouse is cohabitating and no court involvement is necessary assuming the separation agreement states that alimony terminates upon the receiving spouse cohabitating as defined by NC statutes and case law. Just be prepared with your evidence or cohabitation in the event your ex-spouse files a breach of contract action against you.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.