Step-parent facing criminal charges

If this has been ongoing for the last year, have their been any incidents involving the children? I think it’s unlikely that the court would order no contact with the children unless there has been.

If a no contact order is put into place for you then that should only affect you and her. That would essentially be forcing your ex to choose between his wife and his children. I think that the supervision of the contact would be left up to your ex…

While the behavior is concerning, unless there is some evidence that she poses a threat to the children, she will probably not be ordered not to have any contact with them. However, if her behavior escalates to the point that she is speaking negatively about you and acting out in front of the children, you may be able to file an action to modify custody and ask the court to limit her time around the children.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My ex’s new wife (of 3 months) is about to be charged with criminal harassment due to repeated and ongoing harassment of me (100 incidents over the last year). She will likely be ordered to have no contact with me. Currently, I have primary custody and my ex has visitation.

I’m concerned about her mental stability (because of this and other incidents). We have no history of hostilities and I have interacted with her outside the harassment probably less than a dozen times. Since I don’t know her and her behavior seems bizarre to me I am concerned about my well-being as well as my kids.

How likely is it that I could get the courts to order her to also not have contact with my children? Or that she is not allowed unsupervised contact? I guess what I’m really wondering is what effect her conviction and/or admission of harassing me can have on our custody/visitation.