What Am I Entitled To?


Dear Metallic36:

Greetings. Due to the length of your marriage, your husband is being generous with the alimony he offered, as I doubt the court would award you any. Yes, you are entitled to child support. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I am not yet divorced, just pondering the thought seriously. I have a baby from this marriage that my husband would let me have custody of and she would visit him every now and then. We currently rent a house and I would keep that, and he would find his own place. We have been married for four months. What is alimony? My husband says he would give me a couple hundred a month, but my father says he has to support me still. Not sure which is right. I’m going to get child support from him if I can. Any opinions?