What constitutes harassment in email?

My ex enjoys sending emails that are full of pretty harsh insults. Several per week for a few years now. Unfortunately he includes important information about the kids in these emails so even though I express his email will not be read due his harassment, I am forced to read them. What can I do to end this? Why should I be forced to read through all of his horrible words just to find out something out the kids? Legally, do I have any options? Thanks.

You likely will need to ignore it, sift through the irrelevant parts, and only respond to the parts about the children if a response is even warranted.

If you have a court order that states that communication between the two of you is limited to only emails about the children (or similar language), then you could threaten to file a contempt motion against him based on his violation of this provision.

If the harassment rises to such a level that it inflicts substantial emotional distress on you, then you may be able to file and apply for a domestic violence protective order assuming you could prove the substantial emotional distress.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.