Where to file for separated spousal support?

Hi, Thank you for volunteering!
I want to file for spousal support without divorce. Where does one initiate this process? (without an attorney). She left me for no reason while on a trip out of the country and when I came back I found out she withdrew the money from our accounts, closed our joint accounts, blocked the credit cards, I was left homeless in an airport without food nor money (because it was in the account) during the COVID19 era, really unconsidered of her, I’ve been really nice to her even after this but she never replied and just send me a message saying she doesn’t want to talk to me nor want me to go to her nor show up anywhere shes goes, now her parents and her siblings don’t talk to me , they all blocked me in social media, its been really a traumatic and isolating experience, preventing me form having access to money to even eat is just too much.
She suffers from depression, anxiety, PTSD based on sexual abuse, she had sexual interactions with women too for almost 2 years , and I’ve been really supportive and caring, and not judgmental. knowing all that I married her in good faith because I think people always deserve a chance to be loved and have dignity no matter what they did or happened to them. I am the defendant because I’m still trying to have financial stability by my own here since I just moved to the country by the end of 2019. Where can I initiate a request for spousal support (without divorce)without an attorney?

You will need to file a court complaint for postseparation support and alimony, alleging that you are the dependent spouse and she is the supporting spouse. With courts being closed through the end of May due to COVID-19, it is unclear when you may have a chance to appear before a judge for a trial, but it is generally wise to file now.

There are no pre-printed forms for court complaints however, take a look at our Sample Court Complaint to use as a guide as you draft your own.

You may also be interested in our Rosen Online Service. You can get access to a library of legal forms and templates and communicate with an attorney. This service only costs $199/month and could be a great resource for you to handle your support case without spending thousands of dollars retaining an attorney.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Hi thank you for your reply,

And in which Institution (court) do I send, bring or deliver this?

Family court?
Magistrates office?
Police department?
Clerck of court?

Also do you know if they provide a form that can be filled Online?

Can it be submitted online?

Thank you for your help with this, I really appreciate it.

All family court filings (including court complaints for postseparation support and alimony) and filed at your county’s clerk of court’s office in the courthouse. The State charges a $150 filing fee.

There is no pre-printed form and no online form. You have to draft your own.

The court complaint cannot be filed online - all filings must be hard copies either physically taken to the clerk of court’s office or mailed in (with a self-addressed and stamped envelope).

You should file 3 copies (an original + 2 copies): the clerk’s office keeps the original, then 1 copy is served on the defendant (opposing party) and 1 copy is for your records.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.