Where to File Harnett of Cumberland?

My one year of separation is up and we are ready to file for divorce. We have a separation agreement in place and don’t need anything. We lived in Harnett County the whole marriage and now live in Cumberland. I know the process and the people at the Harnett courthouse and it is much easier. Can I file in Harnett?

Thank you,

You can file for absolute divorce in any county that either party resides. If you both live in Cumberland County now, you could still file in Harnett County but there is a risk that your spouse would object to the filing due to the improper venue.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.