Alienation of affection

Dear CORRIN2000:

Greetings. Let’s see if we can answer your questions:

1. Yes, you can likely be sued by her husband for alienation of affection.

2. No, since your relationship happened after the date of divorce. Also, since she left you for someone else, it would be hard for her to say that someone else ruined the natural love and affection in your relationship, no?

3. Yes. Please read over the information on alienation of affection here on our website. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
RosenDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I HAVE A STRANGE SITUATION. I HAVE WORKED FOR A COMPANY FOR 6 YEARS. I WAS LEGALLY DIVORCED IN JAN 04. I BEGAN A RELATIONSHIP WITH A CO-WORKER IN JULY 04 AND WAS TOLD BY HER THAT SHE WAS LEGALLY SEPARATED. A MONTH LATER INTO THE RELATIONSHIP IS WHEN I FOUND OUT SHE WAS JUST THEN LEGALLY SEPARATED FROM HER HUSBAND. SHE HAD MENTIONED TO OTHER CO-WORKERS THAT SHE HAS HAD A CRUSH ON ME FOR ABOUT 4 YEARS.

I HAVE 3 QUESTIONS:

1. CAN I BE SUED BY HER SOON TO BE EX HUSBAND FOR ALIENATION OF AFFECTION?

2. CAN MY EX-WIFE SUE HER FOR THE SAME? MY WIFE LEFT ME IN NOV 02 AND HAS FOUND OUT THAT I AM SEEING THIS GIRL AT WORK, AND THINKS THAT I WAS HAVING AN AFFAIR WITH HER WHILE I WAS MARRIED. ( WHICH I WASNT, SHE LEFT ME FOR SOMEONE ELSE)

3. IS THERE A STATUE OF LIMITATIONS FOR ALIENATION OF AFFECTION LAWSUIT?