The affair must be connected to NC in some way, a phone call made to NC by Man 1 would be sufficient, but there must be some availment on his part to the state to allow NC to have jurisdiction.

Typically extramarital affairs do not affect custody.

All parties involved live in NC.

Then the state has jurisdicion and evidence obtained here and elsewhere can be used in court.