Can I get a DBB?

For years I have been dealing with my wife and her drinking. It’s caused financial problems with several wrecked vehicle’s, DWI’s, lawyer and court fees. Not to mention the mental stress it puts on me and problems it has caused in the family. I have 5 kids living at home and I can’t move out because i fear that she will not care for them properly when she drinks. My wife sometimes drinks in the morning, the afternoon, but all the time at night. I don’t think she believes me that I want to leave and i dont think she will agree to it. Mostly she needs help, shes been to rehab and AA and nothing is helping her so know she just drinks to her hearts content. I can’t constantly be worried about her and kids when i have to go to work. I’m tired of the fighting and tired of dealing with this problem. She does not work just FYI. Please help, what are my options here, because I feel stuck…

Unless you move out along with all of the children, then you would need to file an action against your wife for divorce from bed and board.

Divorce from bed and board is a fault-based action that if granted, can start a separation, force your wife to move out, etc.

For more detailed information on the divorce from bed and board claim, check out our article What is a Divorce from Bed and Board?

The fault grounds that would be applicable for your case, based on the information provided, would be excessive alcohol use to the point it makes things intolerable for you and life burdensome for you and possibly constructive abandonment,

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.