Child support


My son is turning 18 next year. He is going on to college. Do I still need to pay child support? What I want do is take the money that I pay monthly and put it in an account so that is available for him when needed for college. What are my options?


If your child support is pursuant to a court order you must make a motion to terminate support based on his reaching the age of majority. The court will release you from your obligation and you are fee to put money in an account for him if you like.

If your child support is pursuant to a Separation Agreement which provides an automatic termination you may simply stop paying support.