6 years of fighting and arguing???
How do you imagine that makes the kids feel? You know they hear it.
I’m sure you already feel like cr–, it surely can’t be good for the kids. I’d make sure that they know that none of this has to do with them and that its not their fault.
If you are miserable and the kids are miserable, get out. Get out and get counseling as well for you and the kids. Start life out on the right foot and live like you always wanted to live and have your kids live.

Just my 2 cents.


Dear Chandraalley & Fairiedust:

Greetings. First, I believe that you may want to try family counseling. Often parties marry that compliment each other, but when they have children they cannot agree on how to raise them, discipline them, or reward them. Sometimes one parent is too harsh and the other parent is not good with discipline. All of a sudden the children become confused and the parents are working against each other.

If counseling is not an option, my suggestion is that you contact an attorney to assist you in drawing up a separation agreement which includes child custody terms. Once the separation agreement negotiations begin, usually the living arrangement will change in one way or another.

No matter what, remember that children are resilient. It is best to co-parent whenever possible.

If you believe that your children are being harmed, I agree with fairiedust that you should enroll them in counseling, if you cannot agree with your spouse to all attend family counseling. Best of luck!

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

we are in a marriage only because of two children. all we do is fight and argue. we can not agree on how to raise the kids anymore. What do you do? i want a divorce but i dont want to let my children down. this has been going on for 6 years now. how do i get out without abondment charges and hurting my children? is it good or not so good to stay because of the kids? help