Communication with your lawyer

This isn’t a question, it’s words of friendly advice from someone who had to learn the hard way.
There are so many aspects of divorce, sometimes it’s hard to know what direction you want to take. When children are involved, it makes those decisions even harder.
For the last six months, I’ve been wondering, worrying, pacing the floor, trying to figure out what will happen next. The times I’ve spoken with my lawyer, I’ve felt even more confused, because the direction she was heading in wasn’t the one I really wanted to take. But as so many of us do with professionals (doctors, lawyers, etc.), I kept my mouth shut saying “they know best, it’s their job”.
Emotions run high in divorce, and sometimes they get confused with what you really want done. When I finally told her what I wanted, she was surprised, and asked why I hadn’t told her earlier.
It’s sad to say, but my lack of clarity is one of the reasons why I’m not divorced now. Lawyers are not mind readers. They can plot a course, navigate, but ultimately you need to know where you’re going. Make a list of things that you really want. Keep this list for a few days. If a couple of weeks go by and these are still an issue, call your lawyer. Oh, and one more thing. RESEARCH…Learn all you can about divorce in North Carolina.

Thanks for your time