How can she use your SSN and name without you signing documents? I’m assuming she opened credit cards, since that can be done online, but a loan must have a signature.

She has committed fraud. If you pull a credit report on yourself, you’ll see when the accounts were opened. Now how you make a claim, I don’t know. If your SSN was used, then you can close the accounts. I would place a fraud alert on your SSN so that you will have to be notified each time your SSN is used to open any account.

I feel for you. This was done to me. It took 3 years to straighten up my credit report. I didn’t persue him because the amounts were less that 5K and I bargained to get the house in our divorce. I wouldn’t have trusted him to pay off the debt anyway. [V]

I don’t know how you would go about persuing her unless you went to small claims court?

Debts that occured after the date of separation would not be included in the outstanding debts.
I agree with comeingclean2, close the accounts, put an alert on your SSN and contact your attorney about this. These are separate debts and would not be included as the outstanding marital debt you are responsible for. You should contact the creditors also and let them know that your ex wife opened the accounts without your consent and that it is being investigated. You need to know what you should do to have your name removed from these accounts…

I would need to review the exact terms of your agreement to be able to answer this question.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My now ex-wife created alot of debt using my SSN and name while we were separated prior to the divorce. I was unaware of any of this and never signed or used any of these funds.

The final decree does state that I am responsible for outstanding debts, but I question if I am responsible for debts that occurred during the separation and without my consent.