Divorce $$

Dear Molea,

You can file on your own, but I wouldn’t advise that you do so. You should contact your local Child Support Enforcement office, and you can get assistance obtaining child support through their office. They have 2 fee schedules based on your income, so it shouldn’t be a problem getting child support. However, spousal support is something you will probably need to have an attorney handle for you. Keep in mind that you may be able to get back a portion of your attorney’s fees if you are successful in obtaining spousal support from your husband. If you are not trying to go to court, then settlement is a good idea. You may be able to handle a settlement negotiation on your own, but before you accept any settlement offer, you should confer with an attorney for advice.

Good luck,

Shonnese D. Stanback
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax
email: sstanback@rosen.com

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

hi, does anyone know of a way or a resource that i can use to helppay my legal costs. I have not been receiving child support or any support and my husband makes well over $100,000/year and I can not afford an attorney until we settle. is it possible to file on my own?

thank you.