Harassment by husband's ex-wife

I am sorry to hear about your situation! It sounds like your husband’s ex wife is having some problems getting over the relationship with your husband. However, it also sounds like you and your husband are doing everything you can to foster a positive relationship with his daughter. Keep doing that! Your husband should think about going to a family counselor with you and his daughter, so that his daughter knows that he is trying to be the best father he can be. I don’t know that you can get his ex wife “to act like an adult,” but perhaps some feedback from a counselor might help everyone involved.

Good luck!

Shonnese D. Stanback
Attorney
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax
NCdivorce.com
email: sstanback@rosen.com

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I have been having the same problems with my husbands ex-wife with harrassment. She has gone so far at to slash our tires, have my step daughter steal expensive paintings, quilts, pots and pans and my beautiful Charleston baskets and our mantle clock valued at $600.00 from our house (so far thats all we have noticed that she has taken) the problem is we have been to the magistrates office to take out a warrant and nothing has happened about it and I can’t understand how she can get away with doing the things she does. She has sent me very nasty emails, she has told her 12 year old son to be mean and nasty to my 6 year old son, she also calls my 16 year old daughter names if she sees her away from home. She has told her two children and other people in our neighborhood that I have been in prison and that I use to be an alcoholic, and I don’t even drink! The only up side to this is that most of the people that know her realize she is just very jealous and she is also a liar. My husband will not stand up to her because he said that if you acknowledge the things she says it just encourages he to continue, the problem is she continues anyway. The things I have mentioned are just a drop in the bucket. Do I have any legal rights can anyone make her stop? By the way, they have been divorced since 1996. We got married in 2000. The most troubling aspect is that she is a professional in our community. Maybe that’s why she can get away with her disturbing behavior.

Dear KBandNS:

Greetings. Depending on the documents which your husband has for custody, your spouse may be able to take her back to court for custody based on her continuing acts to alienate the children from him.

Also, you may have an action for libel or slander against her. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I was divorced in 1998. My exwife has harrased me constantly since that time. I am now remarried, and wish to live a normal life. She refuses to answer any phone calls from me to talk to my 6 year old son. She has also started having her father show up and act as a threat when I come to pick my son up. She sends constant harrasment letters to me and tries to make trouble from nothing. I threated legal action against her…now she says I threatened her. She is an evil person and in Georgia men have NO rights. What can I do?
I need help.

I was divorced in 1998. My exwife has harrased me constantly since that time. I am now remarried, and wish to live a normal life. She refuses to answer any phone calls from me to talk to my 6 year old son. She has also started having her father show up and act as a threat when I come to pick my son up. She sends constant harrasment letters to me and tries to make trouble from nothing. I threated legal action against her…now she says I threatened her. She is an evil person and in Georgia men have NO rights. What can I do?
I don’t want to go another 12 years under her thumb…What she is doing is very wrong. It’s bad for my son more than anyone.
I need help.

My husband’s ex-wife has been harassing us ever since we got married, and no, I am not the reason they split up. I met my husband after their marriage was over. She use to call us and leave nasty messages on our answering machine until the judge told her that she couldn’t call us anymore. She tries to manipulate the custody order all the time. My husband has recently returned from active duty in Iraq, while he was there she called his commanding officer and the Red Cross 4 times claiming that he did not pay child support (the commanding officer put a stop to that when I gave him the documentation that child support had been paid on time every month), when she was told not to call about child support anymore she then started calling and claiming that she didn’t have the health insurance information for her daughter which I had given to her twice. About a year ago, she hit my husband in the parking lot of the pick-up location for visitation. Unfortunately I wasn’t with him that time to be a witness, and she got away with it. When we ask for information regarding the well-being of my step-daughter she says we are not entitled to it. While my husband was overseas, we both wrote to his daughter at least twice a month, her mother did not give her any of the letters and told her that we abandoned her. (Fortunately I made copies of every letter I wrote to her.) She is just a miserable person to have to deal with. I have never seen anyone so evil. How can we get her to act like an adult for my step-daughters sake. We would like to have a normal relationship with my step-daugther, but her mother’s constant harassment and mean-spiritedness is driving us away. These are just a few of the highlights of what we have to put up with, I would be typing all day if I were to go into more detail!