How much information do I get to know?

In week to week custody’s when ex has moved my Children out of his apartment and into three different hotels and now says he is in a “temporary home” do I have the right to know.

1. Where the home is?
  2. How many bedrooms
  3. if my 13 year old son has a room and bed to sleep in ( vs. sharing a bed ina. Hotel with two young girls)
  4. Who else is also sleeping in the house when they are there?
  5. how long he is staying at that home ( and can I ask to see the lease)

My ex does not answer the questions and says it’s “ personal” and he doesn’t have to answer.

(1) Yes. Both parents should always exchange residence addresses and notify the other of when there is a change. This is a common provision in custody orders.

(2) You don’t necessarily have a right to know how many bedrooms but this is pertinent information. A judge deciding custody won’t like if a parent’s residence doesn’t have enough beds and bedrooms for the minor children.

(3) You don’t necessarily have a right to know where the children are sleeping but this is pertinent information.

(4) You don’t necessarily have a right to know this but it is pertinent information in a custody case.

(5) You don’t necessarily have a right to know how long the other parent is going to be in one location but if you have a pending custody case without a permanent custody order, then asking to see the lease is a relevant request.

A judge will not like the fact that the father does not have stable housing and that he cannot maintain stable housing.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.