Humbled to apology

I admire your efforts on this. If you show that they can’t “ruffle” your feathers over every little thing then maybe they will quit trying to. It’s not a bad thing to be humble but never apologize for something you are not sorry for though. If the issue is important enough, take a stand and do not back down and giving in on some little things will make a bigger impact when you don’t give in.

It’s difficult to give up “control” until you realize that you never truly had it to begin with…
Believe me when I say that there will be more issues and situations in the future that will require you to stand up to the ex so picking your battles is the best way to survive the war…no one really wins.
All you can do is what you think is best for your child while he is with you and hope that your ex does the same. Let your child see you leading the life you want him to have…

I hope that this has positive results, even if he does not respond in kind, if you keep doing the next right thing, you are doing what is best for your child.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

keep your expectations as low as possible about your relationship with your ex and even w/ his current girlfriend. Make a point of thanking him sincerely when he compromises or just does a better job cooperating for the sake of the child. Unfortunately kids pick up all too easily and quickly on negative vibes between mom and dad and new girlfriends/boyfriends or steps. Keep things pleasant and professional and if you have to, smile through gritted teeth and bite your tongue…been there, done that.

In an effort to promote a peaceful co-existance and healthy co-parenting relationship with my ex I have called him and apologized for my part in a nasty argument over many things. He never apologized for his part, but I have to choose my battles wisely. I still feel like I should have some legal ground for some of the issues. Bottom line is he is taking my son for spring break and he is very spiteful and in hopes that he will at least let him call me daily I’m “suckin’ up and putting any egos to rest”. I hope I am doing the right thing. I’m still going to take stepmom’s advice and not have ANY contact with his girlfriend. She and I were getting along fine until she just stepped in and ‘butted in’ a dispute between my ex and I. Too many cooks in the kitchen. I am always the one to apologize, make peace, make sacrifices and I wonder if it will ever just be peaceful!!