Husband blocked all finances

After a few years of trying to make things work, my husband and I are at a crossroads. We have been married 16 years, have two children and I’ve stayed home with the kids the past 11 years. He owns his own business, which I’ve helped with throughout the years and that has supported us financially quite well. Now that we are falling apart, he has taken my credit cards and emptied the bank account, leaving me with no means whatsoever of supporting myself and our kids throughout all of this. He did move into a hotel room this week and suggested we take turns staying in the hotel room for a week at a time, while the other stays with the kids. I informed him I will not leave the house.

The biggest problem right now though is financial. He has flat out told me that all the money is his, he will get everything in a divorce because he has the money to get a lawyer and I do not. He is being very nasty, name calling, bringing the kids into it, warning me that he is going to make me as miserable as possible, etc. There is some food in the house but that won’t last long and I need to be able to feed my kids and provide for them. He has taken all means of finances. What is a person in my situation supposed to do? Does anyone have any advice on what I can do? I plan to get a job as I do have a Master’s Degree but that doesn’t put food on the table right away. Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give me. I’ll keep checking back for responses.

Sounds like you need to find someone to either lend or give you some money so you can retain an attorney. Once that occurs, the attorney will be able to file claims for post-separation support and alimony, child support and equitable distribution. If you can get a credit card, you can live off of it until he is ordered to pay support. Good news is that it sounds like you are eligible for support (since in theory, he owns his own business and has ability to pay) and if he continues to refuse to provide adequate support, you will likely also have a good claim for an award of attorney’s fees. Bad news is that there is no quick fix to getting you access to the marital financial assets and/or support that you need.