Husband User


Dear Margo:

Greetings. Well, truth be known, you have a lot of options which will either force your spouse to leave or make leaving a better option for him.

First option for you is to stop. Stop cooking for him. Cook only for you and your daughter. Don’t do his laundry. Don’t buy him food (that will entail going to store every day for you and your daughter, but that is a sacrifice to make). Let the yard grow wild. Now, yes, this will be hard for you to do, since you like to have a nice home, but it will also show him what it is like to live with him and make it not so nice for him anymore. You have him living on easy street…why would he leave?

Next option, hire an attorney. I would combine this option with the first option. An attorney can help you stay steady on your course, find more reasons to help you, and possibly discuss alimony with him.

Last option, file an action for divorce from bed and board due to his constructive abandonment.

Whatever you do, if he moves out, immediately have an attorney send him a letter advising him on domestic criminal trespass. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I have been married for 7 years and we signed a prenup before we married. We have 1 child that is 6 years of age. I was married before and had my own home. We live in my home. I work a full time job and take care of all house hold duties plus the yard work. Tim has his own business and makes lots of money. At first he would only give me around $300.00 for household expenses until I got so fed up that it cause me to get separation papers. He was told he had to pay 924.00 per month child support. We got back together and now it is back to the same old way. I do everything at home and yard, do all cooking, grocery shopping, everything. I am fed up. I can’t remember the last time we went out together to dinner. I feel that he uses me and my home. He owns a house and a lot of property. He will not leave, tells me I will have to leave my home for 30 days if I want him out. We only fuss and have no kind of relationship. I want out and I can’t get him to leave. What are my options. Please I am at the end of my rope. Thanks - Please reply soon!!

Margo H. Duke