Non Parent Rights

I am wondering what I could do in this very unique situation if anything. My and my ex fiance was together for 6 years, in which I assisted in raising the child since birth. Me and her mother started talking when she was pregnant and started dating shortly after birth. The child is not biologically mine. We lived together for 4 of the 6 years. The biological father has only seen her 4 or 5 times her entire life… Me and the mother separated almost 3 years ago. Once we stopped dating, I continued to see the child, and provide for her. Getting the child almost every weekend. I still provide clothing, food, and assist with school functions.

The mother is now about to get married, and the child is almost 9 years old. The current boyfriend (future husband), stated that he no longer wants me to see the child anymore.

I know that there is a strong emotional attachment with the child, and the child will be devastated if I am no longer in her life as she tells everyone I am her dad.

Is there anything that I can do?

From the information you have provided, it sounds like you have established a parent-child relationship with the child despite that fact that you are not a biological parent. In that case, you may be entitled to visitation.

Check out our detailed article on this issue, Child Custody for Grandparents and Other Non-Parents in North Carolina.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.