Provider info

Do I legally have to provide my babysitter’s hours and contact information, when on my parenting time? I am uncomfortable involving the babysitter in our impending custody trial and feel it could jeopardize her working for me & her privacy. I can give her my x’s contact info for emergencies, but am curious what the legality is in this situation. He is requesting to meet her as well.

Also, what would be an appropriate legal response to this inquiry as it could be used against me in trial should I not provide this. Rather, what are the implications of not providing this information.

The answer to this question largely depends on whether there is an agreement or order on custody in place. If so, then the language of the agreement/order may dictate whether you must provide this information or not.

However, if you do not have an existing agreement/order in place, you have the right to choose child care providers when your child is in your care. This information can be requested through formal discovery. If you refuse to provide the information after it has been requested through discovery, your spouse can ask the judge to compel you to give the information. The judge will make the decision based on how relevant it is to the trial. Also, keep in mind the babysitter can be subpoenaed to testify in your custody trial.