Question regarding Absolute Divorce and QDRO


Dear AnnMarie:

Greetings. You should advise your mother to contact an attorney. An attorney may be able to set aside the divorce. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


My father filed for divorce from my mother and was granted an absolute divorce in NC. (He lied and said he had no way of knowing where she was but mailed her a copy of the final divorce after it happened.) He failed to get a QDRO for either his pension nor hers. Now she is trying to collect her pension and MetLife will not release her pension without a QDRO…what does she do now? She’s very upset about this and is in a very fragile state of mind. I would appreciate a response as soon as possible. Thanks!!!

Ann Marie Nowaczyk