Visitation issues

Sad, we had this happen, or that’s at least what the teen said but then made no effort to see Dad on his own though he tried. Ideally the teen and step and dad go through counseling to try and work this out. This is not an uncommon situation and may have a lot to do w/ the 14 yr old’s conflicted feelings about loyalty to Mom, her level of maturity, becoming a woman, jealousy, anger at divorce, etc etc etc
I would try and push the counselling and dinners out w/ Dad to keep that relationship going. This needs to be worked on or it will affect this child for the rest of her life and ability to have healthy relationships and deal with conflict.

Is there a court order or separation agreement in place?

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com/live for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

There is a separation agreement giving him every Thursday, alternate Fridays, and every Saturday and Sunday. This agreement was made due to my work schedule. Our question is how to break the agreement. She has tried talking to him and he is not receptive at all to her feelings. I have not spoken with him for over a year (different issue), but I broached some problems the girls were having with their stepmother with him and was told that they were lying, blowing things out of proportion, etc.

I would e-mail Dad so you don’t have to talk to him directly but have a record of your attempt to deal w/ this. I would tell him what is going on without getting in the middle - if that is possible. Perhaps dad will agree to a “cooling off” period if his daughter is really unhappy and can use that time to see her one:one for a dinner or afternoon out.

Is it possible that your daughter is hurt and angry and wants to cut off visitation as a way to show her father how angry she is at him? Is it best for her to no longer have contact with him? Unless the relationship is abusive it is generally going to further her interests to allow her to have time with him. Have you considered putting her in counseling so that she can deal with her feelings?

With regards to your legal question, you can file an action for custody and ask the court to enter a schedule they believe to be in your daughter’s best interests.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com/live for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My 14 year old daughter no longer wants visitation with her father due to her relationship with her stepmother. What is the first step that we need to take?